The Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Scholars Teacher Academy Resident System (STEM STARS) model is supported by the National Science Foundation and is focused on improving the science and mathematics achievement of students in the Deep South by providing an innovative alternative route to teacher certification for STEM graduates.
The goal of the STEM STARS Institute is to offer horizontal blending of teaching, research, and service as a tool to optimize learning for students in the Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi region.
The objectives of the STEM STARS Institute are to recruit traditional and non-traditional students who possess:
- a solid background in STEM disciplines
- a commitment to teach in high-needs school districts
- a desire to develop connected science and mathematics educational ecosystem
- a determination to democratized science and mathematics classrooms and
- a resoluteness to produce a competitive STEM workforce